In the winter months is there anything better than a steaming hot bowl of hearty soup? I find there is nothing I crave more. I am talking about the kind of soup that warms you right to your bones and gives you those warm tingles all over. This Classic Hamburger Soup will do just that!
If you are anything like us, during the week we have a very limited amount of time to get dinner on the table. With this soup there is not a lot of preparation required. Which is always nice (and a huge win in our house)! In total the prep takes about 20 minutes to chop up the veggies, brown the beef, and measure out the spices. This soup can be prepared on the stove top in about an hour, or even in a crockpot! I have included directions for both in the recipe card below. 😉
In other news, I got my first DSLR this past week, and I am SO EXCITED to learn how to use it!! I have been running around the house taking a million pictures, and I have no idea what I am doing. The manual is about 3 inches thick, and might as well be written in a different language 😅. Up until now, all of my photos have been taken with an iPhone 7. When I first started my website, I thought my iPhone would be “good enough”. Needless to say I quickly learnt that I needed to get a camera!
Also, we will be launching our newsletters soon. We will be sending out a few emails per month, letting you know what is new and to keep you in the loop with some exciting things we have planned! (subscribe in the side bar)
Classic Hamburger Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds Ground Beef, lean
- 1 Large Red Onion, diced
- 1 28oz can Diced Tomatoes
- 2 cups Water
- 3 cans Beef Consumee
- 1 can Tomato Soup
- 2-3 Bay Leaves
- 2-3 Sweet Bell Peppers, seeded and diced
- 4 Stalks Celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup Pearl Barley
- 1 Tablespoon Parsley Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Thyme Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
Stove Top Directions
- In a large stockpot or dutch oven, over medium heat brown ground beef and strain well. Return beef to pot and return to stove.
- Over medium heat add red onion and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add in all remaining ingredients, stir to combine, and bring to a boil.
- Cover with a lid and let simmer over medium low heat for a minimum of 45 minutes. Stirring regularly just to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom.
- Remove from heat, keep covered with the lid and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Brown ground beef as directed above before adding to crockpot.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Let simmer on high for 4 hours or on low for 8-10 hours.