Hi everyone! I hope you are having a lovely week so far! Today I am sharing a family favorite of ours, Baked Chicken and Cheese Chimichangas! These are dangerously delicious little pockets of cheese, flavor and spice!
Chimichangas are a Mexican food, traditionally kind of like a deep fried burrito. But we are making them a teeny bit healthier by baking them! I actually prefer baking them over deep frying. I just love the golden brown super crispy bottom that forms from baking the chimichangas!
These baked chicken and cheese chimichangas only require a handful of ingredients and can be whipped up quickly on a weeknight, or busy day.
There are affiliate links in this post. Please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Mix it up!
Feel free to mix up the ingredients in these chimichangas. Other ideas to add in (or swap out) may be black beans, chickpeas, more veggies such as bell peppers, or diced onions. Keep in mind, if you add ingredients without cutting out any ingredients the volume of mixture will change and you will need more tortillas.
Chimichangas can be eaten cold or warm making them great meal prep option! Sometimes I will take a chimichanga and a light soup to the office for lunch and it is just delish! If you have access to an oven, wait to bake the chimichangas until you are ready to eat them. Otherwise, you can eat the previously baked chimichangas cold, or zap them in a microwave to heat them up.
YES, these can be served an an appetizer and they are always a hit! To serve as an appetizer, use a smaller sized tortilla shell. I use the tortilla shells that are 4"-6" in diameter, fill them with less filling, wrap them up the same way and bake them. Just bake them for maybe 10 minutes and keep an eye on them so they don't burn!
Dips and Serving Options
I love love love to serve these with just plain old sour cream and some good spicy salsa! Some other dips to serve with are:
- Pico de Gallo
- Chimichurri Sauce
- 6 10"-12" Tortillas
- 2 Chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 2 tablespoon Hot Sauce
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- 1 can Diced Green Chilies, (approx. ¼ cup)
- 1 ½ cups Marble or Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoon Butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a medium sized bowl add the cream cheese, hot sauce, sour cream, and green chilies. With a sturdy wooden spoon, stir the ingredients together. Add in shredded cheese, stir to combine.
- Add in cooked and shredded chicken and stir well to fully incorporate.
- Divide the filling evenly between all 6 tortillas and wrap the tortillas up tightly.
- Brush the chimichangas with the melted butter and bake for 15-20 minutes, until well browned.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream, guacamole, and hot sauce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g