These Cheesy Asparagus and Bacon Stuffed Chicken Breasts are the freaking BOMB!
Not only are they ultra cheesy with cream cheese AND mozzarella. They are everything that you’ve never knew you wanted all wrapped up in a perfectly seasoned juicy chicken breast.
Hello, friends! It has been a minute, I know!
Life got CRAZY over the last month. I just needed to take a step back and that meant literally shutting off the computer for 3 weeks. I have never taken this big of a “blogging break” before, but I am not here to bore you with a life update. If your curious you can read about what we’ve been up to in our newsletter!
Anyways, all that matters is we are back AND this chicken breast needs to be in your life very, very soon.
There are affiliate links in this post. Please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
First things first, you need to butterfly the chicken breasts
Lay the boneless chicken breast flat on a cutting board and place your hand flat on top.
Cut into the side of the chicken breast horizontally with a sharp knife. Be careful not to cut right through the chicken breast. Open the chicken breast up, resembling a “butterfly” shape.
See, this photo above shows that the chicken is roughly the same thickness all the way around the stuffing? This is what you’re going for!
To do this, use a meat mallet or a rolling pin to pound the chicken breasts. This really helps make them evenly sized and helps make them larger and easier to stuff with all that yummy stuff! Making the chicken a uniform thickness throughout also helps the cooking time and it ensures that the chicken is cooked evenly.
Cover a butterflied chicken breast with plastic wrap and pound it with the end of a rolling pin or the flat side of a meat mallet until the chicken is a uniform thickness. Repeat this step until all of the chicken breasts are complete.
Now, onto the good stuff
Stuffing the chicken breast with cheese, asparagus, and bacon!
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
In a small mixing bowl combine the oregano, garlic powder, paprika, salt, black pepper and stir with a fork to just combine.
Now, in a medium sized mixing bowl add the butterflied chicken breasts and sprinkle the seasoning on top.
Toss the chicken breasts using a pair of tongs to fully coat it with the seasoning mixture.
After the chicken has been seasoned, lay the chicken breasts open on a flat surface, butterflied side up.
On one side of the chicken breast, layer on the toppings. Start with the cream cheese, then 3 sprigs of asparagus, topped with the mozzarella and bacon.
After all of the toppings are layered in, fold the chicken breast over. Then, seal it with two toothpicks along the side. Repeat until all of the breasts are stuffed and sealed.
Cooking the chicken breasts
In a large oven safe frying pan or a large cast iron skillet heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat until it is hot. Carefully add in the stuffed chicken breasts and sear them until they are browned, about 3-4 minutes.
After one side of the chicken is browned, flip the chicken breasts over and remove from the pan from the heat.
Loosely place some aluminum foil on top of the pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 more minutes until the chicken breasts are cooked through and juicy! (don’t forget to remove the toothpicks before serving!)
What to serve with this Delicious masterpiece?
Some good options are:
- A simple side salad with a yummy vinaigrette.
- Pan Fried Maple Sweet Potatoes.
- Crispy Baked Wedge Fries.
- Roasted Kalettes.
We put a lot of work into our recipes and if you have made this recipe we would love to see! Tag us anywhere on social media or leave a comment down below!
If you have any questions about this recipe, I would be happy to answer them in the comments down below! To get a hold of us directly, you can shoot us an email. Also, if you would like to see more recipes and get a glimpse into our everyday lives we can be found on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
- 4 Boneless Chicken Breasts, butterflied
- 12 Asparagus Shoots, trimmed
- 4 oz Cream Cheese
- 8 slices of Mozzarella Cheese
- 4 slices of Bacon, cooked
- 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 8 toothpicks
To butterfly the chicken breast
- Lay the chicken breast flat on a cutting board and place your hand flat on top. Cut into the side of the chicken breast horizontally with a sharp knife. Be careful not to cut right through the chicken breast.
- Remove the knife and open the chicken breast up, resembling a “butterfly” shape.
- Now you’ll want to make the chicken breast a uniform thickness. To do this, cover the butterflied breast with plastic wrap and pound it with the end of a rolling pin or the flat side of a meat mallet.
- Pound until the chicken is a uniform thickness. Remove the plastic wrap and repeat the process until all of the butterflied chicken breasts are done.
To make the stuffed chicken breast
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- In a small bowl combine the oregano, garlic powder, paprika, salt, black pepper. Stir to combine.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add the butterflied chicken breasts and sprinkle the seasoning on top. Toss the chicken breasts to fully coat with the seasoning mixture.
- Lay the chicken breasts open on a flat surface.
- On one side of the chicken breast, layer in the toppings, starting with the cream cheese, then 3 sprigs of asparagus, topped with the mozzarella and bacon.
- Fold the chicken breast over and seal it with two toothpicks.
- Repeat steps 4-5 until all of the breasts are stuffed and sealed.
- In a large oven safe frying pan or a cast iron skillet heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat until it is hot. Add the stuffed chicken breasts to the pan and sear until browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- Flip the chicken breasts over, remove from the pan from the heat and loosely place some aluminum foil on top of the pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 more minutes until the chicken breasts are cooked through and juicy!
Store leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
To reheat, place the chicken into a frying pan and heat over medium heat until thoroughly heated.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 625Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 187mgSodium: 998mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 57g
Please Note- The nutritional information provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator and it will vary based on the ingredients that you use.