We are starting this week off with one of our all time favorite side dishes! Crispy Baked Wedge Fries! Yes, these are baked wedge fries that taste just like the deep fried version, except without all of the additional oil! Making them WAY healthier, but still super crunchy and crispy!
There are affiliate links in this post. Please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
The addition of bread crumbs is what makes these wedge fries super crispy. Then we went ahead and seasoned them with oregano, paprika, garlic powder, onion salt, and kosher salt. All of that comes together and makes the most irresistible, guilt-free “french fries” out there!
Using Extra Virgin Olive Oil instead of the typical canola oil makes these fries heart healthy too!
How to handle the potato, to ensure maximum crispy-ness
The key to making these wedge fries uber crispy is soaking the raw sliced potatoes in cool water before seasoning them. This allows the potatoes to release excess starch. Too much starch will yield a soggy wedge fry.
Once you slice the potatoes into the classic wedge shape, throw them in a large bowl of cold water. Let them soak for 10-15 minutes, and you will begin to see the water turn a murky white color. This is the excess starch being extracted from the potato. Doing this will also prevent the potatoes from turning brown.
After letting the wedges soak, drain off all of the excess water and towel dry the raw wedge fry potatoes.
Transfer the towel dried potatoes to a very large bowl, toss with extra virgin olive oil. Then sprinkle with breadcrumbs, oregano, paprika, garlic powder, onion salt, and kosher salt. Hand toss the wedge fries until they are fully coated in the spice mixture.
Getting the wedge fries crispy
On a parchment paper lined sheet pan (or two) lay the fries in a single layer. Be careful to not overcrowd the pan. Crowding the pan with too many wedge fries will make them turn soggy. This will happen because the heat from the oven will not be able to get in between the wedge fries. Turning your crispy wedge fries into a soggy sad mess.
You will most likely have to use two sheet pans. But of course this will greatly depend on the size of your wedge fries.
Now the easy part
Throw the pans in the oven and let the magic happen! These wedge fries will have to be flipped once during baking to ensure that every inch of the wedge fry is crispy.
Yup, these can be reheated and still be somewhat crispy! But, they must be reheated in the oven.
To reheat the wedge fries;
Just turn your oven to 375°F and bake for 10-15 minutes until the fries are warmed thoroughly.
Reheating in the microwave will turn these wedge fries soggy.
What to serve with Crispy Baked Wedge Fries
I am sure you can think of a handful of your favorite recipes off the top of your head that these crispy baked wedge fries pair well with, because well they are fries…. They go with everything!
But if you are stuck or want some new ideas, here are a few recipes that these wedge fries pair seamlessly with:
We would love to hear if you tried this recipe! We put a lot of work into our recipes and love to hear how they worked for you! To get a hold of us, you can shoot us an email or leave a comment down below! We can also be found on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest.
Crispy Baked Wedge Fries
these wedge fries are a healthy alternative to regular fries, without compromising any flavor or crispy-ness!
- 4 Large Yellow Potatoes, skin on
- ⅓ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ⅔ cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Salt
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F, line one or two sheet pans with parchment paper, and fill a large bowl with cold water.
- Slice the potatoes lengthwise, place the halves face down. then holding your knife at a slight angle slice the halves into wedges. Place the sliced wedges into the bowl of cold water. Let wedges soak in water for 10-15 minutes. This removes some of the excess starch and will keep the wedge fry crispy as it bakes.
- After letting the wedges soak. drain off all of the excess water and towel dry the raw wedge fry potatoes.
- Place dried potato wedges in a large bowl and drizzle the extra virgin olive oil on top. Toss slightly to coat the potatoes with the oil.
- Add the breadcrumbs, dried oregano, paprika, garlic powder, onion salt, and kosher salt. Using your hands toss the potato wedges multiple times until all of the wedges are generously coated in breadcrumbs and spices.
- Place the wedge fries in a single layer on the parchment lined pans, Be careful to not overcrowd the pan.
- Bake wedge fries for 45 minutes, flipping them once, until they are golden brown and crispy. Let cool slightly before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 343Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 435mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g
Please Note- The nutritional information provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator and it will vary based on the ingredients that you use.
Leave a Reply