If I had to use one word to describe these Chipotle Pineapple Chicken Tacos it would be; outstanding. A gorgeous melody of fresh coleslaw, barbecue chicken, cheese, spicy mayo, grilled pineapple, and roasted peppers. This is the ultimate meal for your summer time barbecues with friends.
There are affiliate links in this post. Please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
The story behind the taco
This recipe was not a "planned" one. Let me explain, one day at 2 in the afternoon we invited a bunch of people over to our house to watch the hockey game. It all sounded fine and dandy until I realized I had 5 hungry people coming over in only 3 hours. Panic mode set in, I went bolting into the grocery store with not a clue of what I was going to make. Then I remembered a few weeks back I had recipe tested a pulled pork taco and it fell short, they were ok, but we didn't love it. But what they were perfect for was feeding a crowd.
Obviously I didn't have time to cook a pork shoulder, but what I did have time for was an already cooked rotisserie chicken! I jetted around the grocery store grabbing everything else I needed, hoping I could execute my plan. Everything from then on was a blur of ingredients, dishes, and one destroyed kitchen. But that's where the best recipes come from, the ones that aren't strategically planned, but are created with love and a little luck.
They were a hit! A HUGE hit. After everyone went home I ran to grab a pen to write down exactly what I had done. That's when Chipotle Pineapple Chicken Tacos were born!
There are a few steps required to make these, but overall they are super easy for a few reasons:
- Using a precooked rotisserie chicken. Major win, especially when your crunched for time.
- Pulling off an utterly delicious homemade coleslaw with about 5 minutes of prep.
- The Spicy Mayo, only three ingredients, but arguably the best part of the whole dish and possibly one of the best tasting sauces out there!
I was taught how to make homemade coleslaw dressing at a very, very young age. It was my grandmothers recipe, taught to me by my mom. I haven't tweaked it, or changed anything all of these years and it is still by far my favorite coleslaw dressing.
The Spicy Mayo
The easiest, simplest sauce you will ever make. Ever. It's only 3 ingredients and it only takes 30 seconds to stir up. Taste it once and have a jar on stand by in your fridge forever!
I am not kidding, we have a squeeze bottle full of it in the fridge as I type this. You know, in case of emergency.
We would love to hear if you tried this recipe! We put a lot of work into our recipes and love to hear how they worked for you! To get a hold of us, you can shoot us an email or leave a comment down below! We can also be found on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest.
- 1 Whole Rotisserie Chicken, or 3 chicken breasts, cooked
- 8 large Soft-Shell Tortillas
- 1 Small Pineapple, cut into 8-10 pineapple rings
- ¼ cup Barbecue Sauce + more for topping
- ½ cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 Bell Pepper, seeded and cut in half
- ½ medium Red Onion, sliced thin
- 1 bag of Coleslaw
- Fresh Parsley, optional
- ⅓ cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Pinch of Salt
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon Sriracha Hot Sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon Chipotle Pepper Powder
- In a large bowl, empty the entire bag of coleslaw.
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, granulated sugar, rice vinegar, black pepper, and salt. Rapidly stir or whip with a whisk to fully combine, the sauce should be smooth with no chunks.
- Pour sauce over top of the coleslaw and toss. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight before serving.
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, Sriracha hot sauce, and chipotle pepper powder. Stir to fully combine sauce, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Turn on the grill and heat it up.
- Shred rotisserie chicken and toss with ¼ cup of your favourite barbeque sauce. Set aside.
- Remove the seeds from the bell pepper and it into 2 halves.
- Slice pineapple into 8-10 rings and dry pieces off with a paper towel.
- Once the grill is nice and hot, adjust down to medium heat and place the pineapple and bell pepper directly onto the grill. Grill pineapple for 2-3 minutes per side, and the bell pepper for 4-5 minutes per side.
- When the pineapple and pepper is grilled, slice them up into small bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- If preferred (but highly recommend) grill the soft-shell tacos before building the tacos. Place the tacos on the warm grill for 30 seconds per side, just to warm them. Be careful, these can over cook and become crunchy very quickly, so you have to watch them close. Place between a kitchen towel to keep them warm.
Building the tacos
- Stack two soft shell tortilla sells side by side on a plate. (see above pictures)
- First place coleslaw into the tacos, then layer on the BBQ rotisserie chicken, bell pepper, grilled pineapples, red onion, and shredded cheese. Top with more BBQ sauce and the Spicy Mayo. Garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g