Have you ever tried the famous Bang Bang Sauce? There are hundreds or recipes and adaptations out there but I am here to tell you that THIS bang bang sauce is literally the BOMB.
This is traditionally served with crispy chicken or shrimp, but I am here to tell you that it goes with almost anything!
There are affiliate links in this post. Please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Why is it called bang bang sauce?
Good question! I had the SAME question... I first came across the sauce years and years ago while surfing Pinterest and skinnytaste’s banging grilled shrimp skewers caught my eye.
Anyways, I had to learn where the term "bang bang sauce" came from, so I jumped on google and through my research google has told me that the famous “bang bang sauce” earned its name from street vendors that would bang chicken with mallets or heavy wooden sticks to tenderize it. Then they would dress that chicken with a spicy mayo sauce before serving it.
So it earned it's name because of how the chicken is prepared, who'da thunk?
Ok, now let’s get on to the real reason you are here, the sauce!
- Thai Sweet Chili Sauce- this is a pre-prepared sauce that you can find at almost any grocery store. Thai sweet chili sauce has a sweet taste with a spicy bite and while it is not the spiciest sauce out there, it does pack a punch.
- Mayonnaise- any type or kind of mayonnaise can be used to make this sauce. The use of light mayonnaise is completely personal preference, but please note that the nutritional value/facts reflect the use of light mayonnaise.
Let’s make it!
Bang Bang Sauce could not be easier to make. It is literally a “put all the ingredients into a bowl and stir it together” kind of recipe.
To make the sauce, grab a small bowl and add the mayonnaise, thai sweet chili sauce, sriracha, brown sugar, scallions, and sesame oil.
Then, using a small whisk or a spoon, whisk or stir to fully combine all of the ingredients.
After all of the ingredients are combined, cover the sauce with a lid or some plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before serving.
This sauce is best served with…
This sauce literally goes with anything. Use it as a dipping sauce for shrimp, chicken, or steak. Or even as a salad dressing on a salad or spread on a burger!
Storing the sauce
Store Bang Bang Sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Stir before serving.
Check out these recipes too!
If you have any questions about this recipe, I would be happy to answer them in the comments down below! To get a hold of us, you can shoot us an email or leave a comment down below! We can also be found on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
- ½ cup Light Mayonnaise
- ½ cup Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 2 Scallions, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil (optional)
- In a small bowl add the mayonnaise, thai sweet chili sauce, sriracha, brown sugar, scallions, and sesame oil.
- Using a small whisk or a spoon, whisk or stir to fully combine all of the ingredients.
- Cover the sauce and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with shrimp, chicken, or steak. This sauce can also be used as a salad dressing or spread on a burger!
- One serving equals approximately 2 Tablespoons of prepared sauce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 67Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 145mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 0g
Please Note- The nutritional information provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator and it will vary based on the ingredients that you use.