7 ingredients is all it takes to make these pub-style crispy baked chicken wings at home! They taste exactly the same as the classic deep fried version and you can make them any flavour that you like! Although, I HIGHLY recommend buffalo and honey garlic sauce toppings for these wings!
I have come across some other recipes to make homemade wings and most of them recommend baking the wings on a wire rack. Now I am going to tell you why I do not like this methold…
After baking the wings on a wire rack, I literally had to throw the rack in the garbage!
It was SO hard to clean, I let it soak for a day, me and my husband both tried scrubbing it. It would NOT COME CLEAN. Obviously sacrificing a baking rack once is no big deal, but it can get pricey if that is the cost every time you make wings at home.
That is why I just bake the wings directly on greased aluminum foil. You’ll still get deliciously crispy wings and after they are done baking just gather up the foil and toss it in the bin!
Easy peasy, now onto the wings!
There are affiliate links in this post. Please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
If you are preparing these chicken wings for a party or gathering, keep the chicken wings warm and crispy by keeping them in the oven at 200°F. Only add the sauce and/or flavourings when you are ready to serve the wings. Adding the sauce beforehand can cause the wings to go a little bit soggy.
Well, I wouldn't say they are a superfood or anything, but home baked chicken wings are definitely better for you than deep fried wings. And of course, it will widely depend on the topping or sauce that you put on the wings.
Baking powder! Coating the wings in baking powder before baking them results in a super crispy exterior skin and helps to lock the moisture into the wing. Just make sure that the baking powder you use is aluminum free, otherwise it can cause the wings to take on a metallic taste.
A few things you will need to make this recipe
Round up these Ingredients
- Split Chicken Wings
- Baking Powder
- Garlic Powder
Let’s Make some Chicken Wings!
Despite what you might think, making mouthwatering, crispy, pub-style chicken wings at home is possible, and with a little effort it is actually pretty simple!
First things first, preheat your oven to 425°F and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Then, in a small bowl combine the baking powder*, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, pepper and salt.
*I highly recommend using an aluminum free baking powder in this recipe. Aluminum is a common ingredient in baking powder and can cause the wings to take on a metallic tinny flavour. Fleischmanns is the brand that I use and it is aluminum free.
Use a fork or a small spoon to combine the spices together.
Next, put the split chicken wings into a large mixing bowl and sprinkle the prepared seasoning overtop.
Toss the chicken wings to completely coat them with the seasoning.
Spray the aluminum foil lined baking sheet with cooking spray (or brush with a little oil) and pour the seasoned chicken wings onto the baking sheet.
Spread the chicken wings out in a single layer, making sure to leave a little space between each of them.
Bake chicken wings on the middle rack for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, remove the wings from the oven and flip each of them over. Then, return wings to the oven and cook for another 20-30 minutes until wings are crispy and fully cooked.
(Chicken wings are fully cooked once they have reached an internal temperature of 165°F.)
When the wings are fully cooked, remove them from the oven and place them into a medium sized mixing bowl.
Now for the fun part, adding the toppings!
Some topping ideas that I recommend are:
- Homemade buffalo sauce (see below)
- Homemade honey garlic sauce < get my EASY recipe, here
- Salt and pepper
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- Honey Mustard
- Lemon Pepper
And the list goes on….
Homemade buffalo sauce is basically the easiest sauce in the world to make! All you need are TWO ingredients; hot sauce (such as Franks Red Hot Sauce) and butter!
To make homemade buffalo sauce:
In a small saucepan add the hot sauce and butter.
Place the saucepan over low heat and stirring constantly, melt the butter. Continue stirring until the butter has fully melted and is combined with the hot sauce. This takes about 5 minutes on low heat.
Transfer the sauce to a serving bowl or directly onto the prepared baked chicken wings!
Crispy baked chicken wings are best served and enjoyed fresh out of the oven! Be warned that storing the leftovers will cause the wings to turn softer on the outside.
Store leftovers in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator. Enjoy within 2 days.
To reheat leftover chicken wings, place them into an oven safe container and bake at 350°F for 10-15 minutes until they are heated through.
That’s it, a super easy and simple recipe for pub-style crispy baked chicken wings that are freaking delicious!
We put a lot of work into our recipes, so we would love to know if you tried this recipe and how it turned out for you!
If you have any questions about this recipe, I would be happy to answer them in the comments down below! To get a hold of us, you can shoot us an email or leave a comment down below! We can also be found on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Check out some of our other popular appetizer recipes, too!
- Mac & Cheese Bites with Sweet Basil Marinara
- Coconut Shrimp with Honey Soy Dipping Sauce
- Hawaiian Sliders with Bacon Mayo
- Smoked Cheddar and Bacon Jalapeno Poppers
- 2 lbs Chicken Wings, Split (~24 wings)
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder*
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup Hot Sauce, such as Franks Red Hot
- ¾ cup Butter
Honey Garlic Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a small bowl combine the baking powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, pepper and salt. Stir to combine the spices together and set aside.
- Place the split chicken wings into a large mixing bowl and sprinkle the prepared seasoning overtop.
- Toss the chicken wings to completely coat with the seasoning.
- Spray the aluminum foil with cooking spray (or brush with a little oil) and place the seasoned chicken wings onto the prepared baking sheet. Spread the chicken wings out in a single layer, leaving space between each of them.
- Bake on the middle rack for 30 minutes, after 30 minutes, remove the wings and flip each of them over. Return wings to the oven and cook for another 20-30 minutes until wings are crispy and fully cooked. Chicken wings are fully cooked once they have reached an internal temperature of 165°F.
- When the wings are fully cooked, remove them from the oven and place the wings into a medium sized mixing bowl. Now, the fun part, add whatever toppings you want! Some toppings that I recommend are homemade buffalo sauce, homemade honey garlic sauce, salt and pepper, sweet chili sauce, honey mustard sauce, lemon pepper, etc.
- To make homemade buffalo sauce: In a small saucepan add the hot sauce and butter. Place over low heat, stirring constantly, melt the butter and stir until it is completely combined.
- Transfer the sauce to a serving bowl or directly onto prepared baked chicken wings and enjoy!
*I highly recommend using aluminum free baking powder in this recipe. Aluminum is a common ingredient in baking powder and can cause the wings to take on a metallic flavour. Fleischmanns is the brand that I use and it is aluminum free.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 750Total Fat: 55gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 186mgSodium: 1522mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 39g
Please Note- The nutritional information provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator and it will vary based on the ingredients that you use.