Blackened Chicken Sandwiches! These are extremely spicy, extremely cheesy, and extremely addictive!
The secret is in the spices, making a blackening spice mixture from scratch is KEY. I make almost all of my spice mixtures from scratch. I have never really been one for the premixed spices but maybe I just havent tried the right one yet, any recommendations? Let me know in the comments down below!
Ok, back to the Blackened Chicken Sandwiches. I learnt how to make a version of these when I was working in the kitchen at a pub, in high school! So it is safe to say, I have literally made these sandwiches HUNDREDS upon HUNDREDS of times!
I know pan cooked chicken sometimes carries a "bad rap" for being dry and tasteless. But believe me, this chicken comes out juicy and crazy flavorful every time!
There are affiliate links in this post. Please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
We would love to hear from you! To get a hold of us, you can shoot us an email or leave a comment down below! Also, please subscribe to our emails! The subscription box can be found in the side bar (on a desktop) and near the bottom of the page (on mobile), or we can be found on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest.
- 4 Large Burger Buns
- 4 Chicken Breasts, butterflied
- ¾ cup Canola Oil
- Cheddar Cheese, sliced
- Leaf Lettuce
- Tomatoes, sliced
- Red Onions, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon White Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Chipotle
- Pinch Cayenne
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Salsa, of choice
- In a small bowl add smoked paprika, oregano, garlic powder, kosher salt, onion powder, cumin, white pepper, chipotle, and cayenne. Mix together until the spices are well combined and set aside.
Blackened Chicken Breasts
- In a large bowl, add the butterflied chicken breast, canola oil, and all of the blackening spice. Using tongs, turn the chicken breasts over a few times to fully coat them in the spice & oil. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 20 minutes to marinate.
- After the chicken breasts have marinated, in a large deep skillet, pour the chicken breasts and all of the spice/oil mixture into the pan.
- Over medium heat, cook the chicken breast until well done, flipping regularly, about 15-20 minutes.
- (Optional) Turn the heat to low and add the cheese onto the chicken breasts. Cover the pan with a lid and let the cheese melt for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove chicken breasts from the pan and transfer them to a plate lined with paper towel to remove excess oil. Set aside until you are ready to assemble the sandwich.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and salsa. Stir well to fully combine and set aside.
- Spread about ½ Tablespoon of the Salsa Aioli on both the top and bottom of the hamburger bun. Layer on one of the chicken breasts, tomato, red onions, and lettuce. Repeat with all of the hamburger buns and chicken breast until all of the sandwiches are built. Serve & Enjoy!
- Serves well with yam fries.
- Cooked blackened chicken breasts will last in the refrigerator, in an air tight container, for 1-2 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g