Caramelized Onion and Roasted Garlic Hummus is easy, super healthy, and delicious. It can be a great option for a quick snack, or can be the main star of a party appetizer tray. Hummus can be served as a dip or a spread, the options of what to enjoy hummus with are endless.
There are affiliate links in this post. Please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Adding roasted garlic to this hummus gives the hummus a slightly sweet caramel like taste. Roasting the garlic tones down the normally overpowering taste of the garlic, giving this hummus a classic but nontraditional taste.
How to Roast Garlic
Do you know how to roast garlic? If not, you will need to learn! It only takes 3 ingredients and 25 minutes. Roasted garlic is so versatile that it can be added to almost any recipe. Now, click below to learn all about how to roast garlic!
Caramelized onions taste like candy. Literally candy. THEY ARE SO GOOD.
Caramelized onions are made by melting butter in a fry pan and slowly cooking the onions. The butter then breaks down into a browned butter sauce and becomes infused in the softened onions.
As the onions continue to cook they become sweet and develop a one of a kind texture. After the onions are caramelized, drain off the excess oil by putting the onions on a paper towel and letting them cool.
What is hummus made of?
The star of the show here is... Chickpeas!!!
Although chickpeas are the main ingredient in hummus there are a few other ingredients you will need to bring this dip together. The other ingredients in hummus include tahini (sesame seed paste), lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, and salt.
And that is it! (although we fancy it up a bit by adding caramelized onions and roasted garlic)
Chickpeas are an inexpensive ingredient and they pack a generous punch of nutrients. Which is always nice.
I use canned chickpeas in my hummus recipe. I have tried this recipe with dried chickpeas and I can not tell a difference. If you want to use dried chickpeas (that have been re-hydrated) they will work too!
Is hummus a healthy option?
Hands down, without a question, YES!!
Hummus is a super healthy option. It is packed full of nutrients and a great option to incorporate more fiber into your diet.
Hummus can be enjoyed as a snack with fresh veggies, used as a spread on pita bread, served as an appetizer, even spread on a burger! There are so many uses for hummus, the options are literally endless.
We would love to hear if you tried this recipe. We put a lot of work into our recipes to make them perfect, and we would love to know how they worked for you!
- 1 19oz can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup Tahini, (sesame seed paste)
- ⅓ cup + 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil, separated
- 1 whole head Roasted Garlic
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ medium Red Onion, coarsely diced
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- Pinch of Paprika, for topping (optional)
- In a food processor, combine the chickpeas, tahini, ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil, roasted garlic, lemon juice, and salt. Pulse until hummus resembles a thick smooth paste.
- Scoop blended hummus into a serving dish and top with remaining 1 Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of paprika (optional). Tightly wrap the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- In a small fry pan on medium-low, melt the butter. Once the butter is fully melted add the red onions. Stir to fully coat the onions in butter. Let the onions cook for 20-22 minutes, stirring intermittently. Onions are ready when they are golden brown and caramelized.
- Drain onions on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Place the caramelized onions on top of hummus and serve with crackers, pita chips, veggies, or nachos.
- Keep hummus refrigerated in an air tight container. Hummus will keep for up to one week properly stored in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 213Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 444mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 8g
Please Note- The nutritional information provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator and it will vary based on the ingredients that you use.