Today is day 6 in our 12 Days of Christmas event and today we are reintroducing an old favourite, Sweet and Spicy Holiday Chex!
If you love this recipe then you need to try my muddy buddies recipe, too!
This recipe was first posted on my blog back in 2018 and it was also one of the first recipes on my website! It is a special recipe to me and brings back a ton of memories.
Chex mix has always been a Christmas tradition for me. It was one of the main christmas treats that my mother would make every Christmas! And I still remember making this with her almost every Christmas when I was little.
Even though this recipe is amazing, I feel like I have to warn you, this stuff is extremely addictive! Like, addictive on another level.
The flavour combinations in this recipe are unlike any traditional chex mix recipe you have ever come across. They are unique, seem weird, but somehow they all work together, making for a delicious treat!
Lucky for you, not only is this Sweet & Spicy Holiday Chex addictive and delicious, it is super easy to make! Preparation takes about 10 minutes and you’ll be munching on this delicious snack in no time.
There are affiliate links in this post. Please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
A few things you will need to make this recipe
How to make Chex Mix
First, you need to preheat the oven to 200°F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
Next, in a large bowl combine the shreddies, chex, pretzels, and peanuts and toss to combine. This recipe makes around 25 cups of chex mix, so you will need a BIG bowl.
I got this 13 quart stainless steel bowl years ago for super cheap and it turns out, I use it more than I thought I would!
Now, in a small saucepan combine the honey, apple cider vinegar, worchestershire sauce, extra virgin olive oil, garlic powder, kosher salt, and cayenne pepper and bring to a boil over medium low heat.
Let the mixture boil for 1 minute, stirring a few times to combine.
Remove the sauce mixture from the heat and pour the mixture over the top of the cereal in the large bowl.
Divide the cereal mixture evenly between the two lined baking sheets, making sure that it is spread evenly over the surface of the baking sheets.
Bake the chex for 1 hour and then remove from the oven and let cool completely.
When the chex mix has cooled, transfer into a large clean container and gently toss/break up using your hands.
That’s it! Now, I dare you to not eat it all in a couple of days!
Sweet & Spicy Holiday Chex should be stored in an airtight container or zip top bag at room temperature and enjoyed within 2 weeks.
We hope you enjoyed the sixth day of Christmas, make sure to check back tomorrow morning at 8am MST for day seven!
We hope our recipes can bring some joy into your homes during these times. Also, we put a lot of work into our recipes, so we would love to know if you tried this recipe and how it turned out for you!
Check out the other recipes in our 12 Days of Christmas holiday event!
- First Day of Christmas- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Second Day of Christmas- Whipped Shortbread Cookies
- Third Day of Christmas- Almond & Cashew Buttercrunch Toffee
- Fourth Day of Christmas- Hot Buttered Rum
- Fifth Day of Christmas- Sponge Toffee
- Sixth Day of Christmas- Sweet & Spicy Holiday Chex
- Seventh Day of Christmas- Spicy Bacon Jam Brussel Sprouts
- Eighth Day of Christmas- Snickerdoodles
- Ninth Day of Christmas- Double Lemon Poppyseed Cookies
- Tenth Day of Christmas- Cheesy Stuffed Mushrooms
- Eleventh Day of Christmas- Chocolate Cream Cookies
- Twelfth Day of Christmas-
We would love to see your creations on Instagram! Tag your creations from the 12 Days of Christmas using #whippeditup2020
If you have any questions about this recipe, I would be happy to answer them in the comments down below! To get a hold of us, you can shoot us an email or leave a comment down below! We can also be found on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
This recipe and post was updated on December 6th, 2020.
- 8 cups Shreddies Honey Cereal
- 8 cups Honey Chex Cereal
- 4 cups Pretzels, Salted
- 4 cups Peanuts, Salted
- ¾ cup Honey
- 3 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (optional, but recommended)
- Preheat the oven to 200°F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the shreddies, chex, pretzels, and peanuts. Toss to just combine.
- In a small saucepan combine the honey, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, extra virgin olive oil, garlic powder, kosher salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Over medium low heat bring the mixture to a boil, stirring regularly. Let the mixture boil for 1 minute, then remove from the heat.
- Pour the mixture over the top of the cereal mixture in the bowl. Using a large spatula or wooden spoon toss the cereal mixture until it is completely coated with the saucy mixture.
- Divide the cereal mixture evenly between the two lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 1 hour and let cool completely.
- When cool, transfer the mixture into a large clean container and gently toss/break up using your hands.
Store Sweet & Spicy Holiday Chex in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 48 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 240mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 4g
Please Note- The nutritional information provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator and it will vary based on the ingredients that you use.