Baked egg boats are what brunch dreams are made of! They are very simple to make, yet they look very fancy and they are perfect served up for a yummy brunch.
This recipe replaces the traditional crust of a quiche with a hollowed out baguette. Which is arguably more delicious.
Then it is stuffed with a cheesy egg mixture and topped with breakfast sausage.
There are affiliate links in this post. Please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
- breakfast sausages
- baguette, approx. 20" long
- sharp cheddar cheese
- mozzarella cheese
- scallions (green onions)
- garlic powder
- cayenne pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
Making a breakfast quiche in a baguette
This recipe is very simple and straight forward to make.
First, you will need to hollow out a baguette, you'll want to use a baguette that is approximately 20"-24" in length.
Place the baguette on a flat surface and using a serrated knife, starting about ½" from the edge of the bread (you'll want to leave a "lip" around the edge) cut a "V" into the bread.
Do not cut all the way through the bread, you will want to be very careful to not puncture the bottom or the sides.
Pull out the bread to hollow out the baguette.
This creates the "egg boat" crust for the quiche mixture to go in.
Pro Tip: You can save the bread that you pulled out of the middle to make breadcrumbs or croutons!
After the baguette is hollowed out, brush the inside with melted butter. Place the baguette on the baking sheet and set aside.
Now that your crust is prepared, you will need to mix the ingredients for the quiche.
Cook the breakfast sausages, chop into rounds and set aside.
In a small bowl add the eggs and milk. Whisk to combine, and then add the sharp cheddar cheese, mozzarella, scallions, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper, stir to combine.
Assembling the egg boats
Pour the egg mixture into the prepared baguette.
Top with the breakfast sausage rounds and then bake.
After about 30 minutes in the oven the baked egg boat will be golden brown and ready to eat!
- Breakfast Sausage- instead of breakfast sausage, you can use bacon or ham.
- Cheese- any hard cheese's will work for this recipe. You can use cheese's like provolone, havarti, monterey jack, marble, etc.
- Baguette- instead of using a baguette as the "crust" you can also use multiple ciabatta buns.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat: in a microwave safe container, remove the lid and microwave for 1 ½ minutes. Replace the lid and let sit for 3 minutes so the bread can steam.
- 4 Breakfast Sausages
- 1 Baguette (~20”)
- 2 tablespoons Butter, melted
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup Milk*, of choice
- ½ cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 2 Scallions, diced
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with aluminium foil.
- In a small frying pan, cook the breakfast sausages until fully cooked (use your discretion while cooking as all types of breakfast sausages will cook at a different speed). Once the sausages are fully cooked, slice them into rounds and set aside.
- Using a bread knife, cut a deep “V” down the length of the baguette. See above for an example, take care to not cut through the bottom of the baguette.
- Gently pull out the centre of the baguette and all of the extra crumbs.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the melted butter on the inside of the hollowed bread.
- Place the baguette onto the lined baking tray and set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the eggs and milk, whisk to combine.
- Into the eggs add the sharp cheddar cheese, mozzarella, scallions, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture into the prepared baguette.
- Place the sliced sausage rounds in the middle, down the length of the baguette.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the eggs are fully set. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
*I prefer to use almond or oat milk, although any kind of milk will work.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container. To reheat, remove lid, microwave for 1 ½ minutes, replace lid and let sit for 3 minutes so the bread can steam.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 228mgSodium: 731mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 20g
Please Note- The nutritional information provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator and it will vary based on the ingredients that you use.