I thought today would be a good day to pop on here and share with you one of my FAVORITE Christmas traditions, Christmas Morning Wife Saver! This is a savoury, make-ahead casserole that is perfect for the big day.
I have shared this recipe with you before, waaaaaay back when I first started blogging. I have learnt a lot since then and figured it was time to spruce up the photos and make some minor tweaks to the recipe.
This super easy breakfast casserole can be prepared up to 24 hours in advance for a hassle-free and stress-free Christmas Morning!
Buuuuuut, advanced preparation is totally optional! This casserole can also be made on the spot and it turns out literally the same.
Also, a great way to use up any leftover ham from Christmas Eve!
There are affiliate links in this post. Please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Let’s Make Christmas Morning Wife Saver
Up to 24 hours ahead
Generously grease a 9”x13” casserole dish with some butter.
Then place 6 slices of bread into the bottom of the casserole dish making a single layer that covers the bottom of the dish completely.
On top of the first layer of bread, spread out all of the shredded ham and 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
Then, place the remaining 6 slices of bread on top. If you find that the bread is surpassing the top of the casserole dish, press down on top with your hand to flatten it down a bit. (This will just help the corn flakes stay in place during baking.)
Top with the remaining cup of shredded cheese and set aside.
Pour the egg mixture overtop of the casserole evenly covering the entire dish.
Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake (this step is only necessary if you are preparing the casserole ahead of time).
Baking the Casserole
Preheat the oven to 350°F and remove the casserole from the refrigerator.
To prepare the corn flake topping; In a medium sized bowl combine the corn flakes and melted butter. Toss to fully coat the corn flakes with butter.
Remove the plastic wrap from the top of the casserole dish and spread the prepared corn flake topping evenly over top of the entire casserole.
Bake the Christmas Morning Wife Saver for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until it is fully set in the center.
After the casserole is fully cooked, remove it from the oven and let it cool slightly before serving.
Top with diced scallions (optional) before serving.
To store leftover wife saver casserole, either wrap the casserole dish tightly with plastic wrap or store pieces in airtight containers. Keep refrigerated and enjoy within 3 days.
To reheat leftovers in the oven, heat the oven to 350°F and bake for 5-10 minutes, until heated through.
To reheat leftovers in the microwave, microwave on high for 2 - 2 ½ minutes until heated through.
And that’s a wrap on one of my favourite holiday traditions! We hope that you are having a great December and a Merry Christmas!
If you have any questions about this recipe, I would be happy to answer them in the comments down below! To get a hold of us, you can shoot us an email or leave a comment down below! We can also be found on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Still looking for more Breakfast ideas?
then Don't miss these!
- Breakfast Enchiladas (these are a spin on Christmas Morning Wife Saver and they are SO GOOD!)
- Banana Oat Blender Muffins
- Fully Loaded Breakfast Burritos
- Chorizo Brekkie Bowls
- Classic Eggs Benedict + Homemade EASY Hollandaise Sauce!!!
This post and recipe was updated December 23, 2020.
- 12 slices Bread, divided
- 4-5 cups Ham, shredded
- 2 cups Cheese, shredded and divided
- 9 Large Eggs
- 1 ½ cups Milk
- ¾ cup Cream
- 2 tablespoons Grainy Dijon Mustard
- 1 ½ tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 4 Scallions, diced (optional)
Corn Flake Topping
- 4 cups Corn Flakes, plain
- ¼ cup Butter, melted
Up to 24 hours ahead
- Grease a 9”x13” casserole dish.
- Place 6 slices of bread into the bottom of the casserole dish in a single layer.
- On top of the bread, spread out all of the shredded ham and 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Place the remaining 6 slices of bread on top.
- Top with the remaining cup of cheese and set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add the eggs, milk, cream, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Whisk to fully combine.
- Pour the mixture overtop of the casserole, making sure to evenly cover the whole thing.
- Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake.
Baking the Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and remove the casserole from the refrigerator.
- To prepare the corn flake topping; In a medium sized bowl combine the corn flakes and melted butter. Toss to fully coat the corn flakes with butter.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the top of the casserole and spread the prepared corn flake topping evenly over top of the casserole.
- Bake the casserole for 1 hour and 15 minutes until it is fully set in the center. After the casserole is fully cooked, remove it from the oven and let it cool slightly before serving.
- Top with diced scallions (optional) before serving.
- It is not necessary to wait 24 hours from the time you assemble to the time you bake. It is 100% optional, it is especially a good option if you have company staying over or you know you won't have time the next morning to prepare a full casserole from scratch.
This recipe was updated December 23, 2020.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g