Let us present you with this easy from scratch pancake recipe that uses simple pantry ingredients to make the BEST ever pancakes. They are fluffy but not too fluffy, dense without being too dense, and they are packed with a rich cinnamon and vanilla flavour. Simply, they can’t be beat.
If you love breakfast recipes, then you have to try my classic eggs benedict (complete with EASY homemade hollandaise sauce), or my breakfast enchiladas!
If you are like me, you have probably tried like 20 different pancake recipes over the years, none of which have really been “the one”. Until this pancake recipe. This is THE pancake recipe.
I have made this pancake recipe over 15 times now and every single time, they turn out perfect! I don’t know about you but that’s a winner in my books!
There are affiliate links in this post. Please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Ingredients you’ll need
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Kosher Salt
- Vanilla Yogurt
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Maple Syrup
- Milk - I typically use 1% cows milk, but you may substitute that for any milk of your choice. If you want to use canned coconut milk, you will need to add a little bit of water to it to thin it out, just to make it more the consistency of a cows milk or almond milk.
- Vanilla Yogurt - Vanilla yogurt may also be substituted for plain yogurt or even sour cream. If you are using plain yogurt or sour cream, increase the amount of pure vanilla extract to 2 teaspoons.
Making the Pancakes
If you have never made pancakes from scratch before, you are about to find out just how easy it is! I promise after you have made them once you will never use the boxed “just add water” mix again!
First, we are going to sift together the dry ingredients. Sifting together the ingredients ensures that there are no lumps of flour in the finished batter (something you want to definitely avoid).
So in a small bowl using a fine mesh strainer, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
In a separate large mixing bowl combine the sugar, butter and whisk to combine.
Into the sugar mixture add the milk, eggs, yogurt, vanilla and whisk again to thoroughly combine.
Now, add the sifted flour mixture into the wet ingredients and stir until fully combined and no lumps remain.
Cooking the Pancakes
In a large frying pan or on a flat top griddle over medium-low heat, melt some butter and add ⅓ cup of the pancake batter (per pancake) to the heated griddle or frying pan. Leave about ½ inch spacing between the pancakes.
Cook the pancakes until you see bubbles all over the surface of the pancake, this should take about 2-3 minutes. Using a flipper, flip the pancake over and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until golden brown.
Repeat the above 2 steps until all of the pancake batter has been used.
To keep the pancakes warm (until you are ready to serve): Place a baking sheet fitted with a wire rack into the oven and heat the oven to 215°F. Transfer the pancakes directly onto the wire rack when they have finished cooking.
Pancakes are best served with fresh fruit, a pad of butter and drown in maple syrup.
Storing the Extras
Store any leftover pancakes (without syrup) in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy within 3 days. You may also freeze the pancakes in zip top bags for up to 2 months.
To reheat pancakes: Pancakes can be reheated in almost any way. Pop them in the microwave for 30-45 seconds, into a fry pan for a couple of minutes, or (my personal favorite) straight into the toaster!
Frozen pancakes are most easily reheated by popping them directly into the toaster. Otherwise, let the pancake defrost on a towel for a little bit to absorb any excess water before reheating in the microwave or a frying pan.
A brunch for the books
We are known for our Sunday brunches and it is one of our favorite things to host! If this sounds like you too, make sure you check out these other brunch staples!
- Classic Eggs Benedict with EASY hollandaise sauce
- Avocado Breakfast Bagels
- Chorizo Brekkie Bowls, also with homemade hollandaise sauce
- Apple Rum Monkey Bread
If you have any questions about this recipe, I would be happy to answer them in the comments down below! To get a hold of us, you can shoot us an email or leave a comment down below! We can also be found on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Easy Pancakes from Scratch
This is an easy from scratch pancake recipe that uses simple pantry ingredients to make the BEST pancakes for your morning brunch!
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups Milk
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ cup Vanilla Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Butter, for cooking
- Maple Syrup, for serving
- In a small bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl combine the sugar and butter, whisk to combine.
- Add the milk, eggs, yogurt and vanilla into the sugar mixture and whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and stir until fully combined.
- In a large frying pan or on a flat top griddle over medium-low heat, melt some butter and add ⅓ cup of the pancake batter to the heated griddle or frying pan. Leave about ½ inch spacing between the pancakes.
- Cook until you see bubbles all over the surface of the pancake, this should take about 2-3 minutes. Using a flipper, flip the pancake over and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Repeat steps 5-6 until all of the pancake batter has been used.
- To keep the pancakes warm (until you are ready to serve): Place a baking sheet fitted with a wire rack into the oven and heat the oven to 215°F. Transfer the pancakes directly onto the wire rack when they have finished cooking.
- Serve with fresh fruit, maple syrup, and butter.
Store cooked pancakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy within 3 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 192Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 173mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 3g
Please Note- The nutritional information provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator and it will vary based on the ingredients that you use.
Leave a Reply