Hi everyone! I have another simple and easy recipe to share with you today! I know I have been doing this quite a bit lately, but I promise, there is a method to my madness! Haha, ok onto the recipe! Instant Pot Brown Rice with Peppers!
some common questions
Why brown rice? Well I like to incorporate any extra nutrients where ever I can in our kitchen! I love to make healthier substitutions when ever possible.
So, what makes brown rice healthier? Let me boil it down for you. In short summary, brown rice has only the hull removed which leaves the bran and germ in place, making it a whole grain. Whereas white rice undergoes extensive processing and is stripped of its bran, germ, and a lot more. Yes, white rice is slightly lower in calories, but, because brown rice undergoes much less processing it has more nutrients, is higher in protein, and higher in fiber.
Cooking Brown Rice
Brown rice can be tricky to cook. It takes longer than white rice, and under cooking it is very easy and very unpleasant. But if you learn how to cook it properly it is so yummy! This is why I LOVE my Instant Pot! It makes cooking perfect brown rice so, so easy! I have converted many white rice lovers to brown rice using this cooking method. When brown rice is cooked properly, it has a nutty earthly flavor, and slightly chewy texture.
If you are considering investing in an Instant Pot, this is the one that I use, and I love it!
The Instant Pot makes cooking this brown rice recipe a breeze! All you have to do is saute the peppers for a few minutes, toss in the rice and water, plop the lid on and walk away. Don’t go too far though, it only takes 4 minutes!!! (14 minutes total, with the natural release method to depressurize the unit)
This recipe makes enough to feed an army- literally. But, I absolutely love having leftover rice in the fridge. It makes a great addition to any lunch meal, and comes in uber handy at dinner when you are in a rush but do not want to eat cheezies and cucumber slices before running out the door. Not speaking from experience or anything… 😉
Ordering Chinese food? Skip the restaurant rice, and use this Instant Pot Brown Rice! If you order the Chinese food then start the recipe, you will still beat your delivery person! It is much more nutritious and you’ll save a few bucks, who doesn’t enjoy that?!
Instant Pot Brown Rice with Peppers
- 5 cups Water
- 4 cups Brown Rice
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 2-3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt, pinch
- Turn the Instant Pot on to sauté mode, and let it warm up.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil, peppers, and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes until fragrant and peppers are slightly softened.
- Add the brown rice to the pot and sauté for 1 minute to toast the rice. This gives the rice a nutty delicious flavour.
- Turn the Instant Pot off, and add the water and pinch of salt. Swirl with a spoon to just combine.
- Secure the lid and make sure the pressure release valve is in the sealing position. Turn the Instant Pot to high pressure for 4 minutes.
- When the cooking time is up and the Instant Pot automatically switches to “keep warm” let the Instant Pot count up to 10 minutes.
- Carefully release the pressure and remove the lid. Stir rice to combine the peppers, and serve!
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which means if you click on the picture or link and purchase the item we will earn a small commission with no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Whipped It Up!