Lemon drop cocktails are the PERFECT cocktail for summer, or let's be honest, any time of the year. They are refreshing, tangy, light and super easy to make. This lemon drop recipe is a twist on the classic lemon drop martini. Served as a low ball over ice instead of in a martini glass, but they can absolutely be enjoyed as a martini as well.
There are affiliate links in this post. Please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
- light simple syrup
- grand marnier
- lemon juice
- lemon slices and/or fresh rosemary, for garnish
See recipe card for quantities.
Into a low ball glass add a small handful of ice and set aside. (These low ball glasses are my favourite!)
Add light simple syrup, vodka, grand marnier, lemon juice and a handful of ice to a cocktail shaker.
Cover and shake vigorously for 20-30 seconds or until the liquid is ice cold.
Strain over ice into the prepared low ball glass. Garnish with a sprig of fresh rosemary and a lemon slice, serve immediately.
- Grand Marnier - traditionally, lemon drop martinis are made using triple sec or cointreau. Grand marnier is a blend of cognac and orange liqueur. I find the cognac flavour in the grand marnier gives this cocktail a more developed and caramelized flavour. Triple sec or cointreau may be substituted for the grand marnier, if you prefer.
- Simple Syrup - Any simple syrup can be used for this recipe, however I find that light simple syrup will not overpower this cocktail keeping it light and lemony.
Multiplying the Recipe
I would only recommend making one or two lemon drop cocktails at a time. Increasing the volume will have an impact on shaking the cocktail and how chilled it becomes in the shaker. Luckily, it only takes about 2 minutes to prepare this cocktail, so making drinks for a crowd won't take long at all!
- 1.5 oz (3 tablespoons) Light Simple Syrup
- 1 oz (2 tablespoons) Vodka
- .75 oz (1 ½ tablespoons) Grand Marnier
- .75 oz (1 ½ tablespoons) Lemon Juice
- Lemon Slices, for garnish (optional)
- Fresh Rosemary Sprigs, for garnish (optional)
To prepare the glass:
- In a low ball glass add a small handful of ice and set aside.
To prepare the cocktail:
- Add light simple syrup, vodka, grand marnier, lemon juice and a handful of ice to a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously for 20-30 seconds.
- Strain over ice into the prepared low ball glass, garnish with a sprig of fresh rosemary and a lemon slice (optional), serve immediately.