This is a super simple, easy peasy banana bread recipe! All you need is one bowl, a few basic ingredients and you will be on your way to devouring the most deliciously moist and mouth-watering banana bread.
If you love classic baking recipes, you need to check out my homemade from scratch cinnamon buns (they really are the best I have ever tasted!) or my chewy classic chocolate chip cookies (also the best, but don't take my word for it, just see the reviews)!
There are affiliate links in this post. Please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
- ripe bananas
- vanilla extract
- baking soda
- all purpose flour
See recipe card for quantities.
🍌Pro Tip- don't have ripe bananas on your counter? I got you! Check out my post on how to ripen bananas in the oven and you'll have perfectly ripened bananas in 30 minutes or less!
This easy one bowl banana bread really is just one bowl. It only takes about 10 minutes to stir together and you are only using one bowl and a mixing spoon so clean up will be a breeze!
In a large bowl combine the bananas, melted butter, eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix.
Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over top of the batter mixture and stir.
Add the flour and stir until the batter is consistency similar to this. (optional- add in any add-ins you prefer now, see below)
Transfer the batter to a buttered loaf pan and bake.
Make this easy banana bread extra fancy with these optional add-ins.
- Cinnamon will give this banana bread just a touch of extra spice making it smell and taste warm and comforting, this is the perfect add in for fall or winter. To add cinnamon, add 1-3 teaspoons of ground cinnamon with the flour.
- Chopped Nuts such as pecans, walnuts, cashews or pumpkin seeds will give this banana bread an extra chewy texture. To add chopped nuts, fold in up to 1 cup of chopped nuts after the flour has been fully incorporated.
- Chocolate Chips/Chunks are (in my opinion) the best add in of all! To add chocolate chips/chunks, fold in up to 1 cup of chocolate chips/chunks after the flour has been fully incorporated.
You can also mix and match these add-ins, just do not exceed 1 cup of add-ins. For example: if you want to add pumpkin seeds and chocolate chips add ½ cup of each.
Storing the leftovers
Wrap the banana bread tightly with plastic wrap or place in a zip top bag and store at room temperature for 3-4 days.
Can banana bread be frozen?
Yes, it can be! The easiest way to store this banana bread in the freezer is to first slice it into pieces.
To defrost frozen banana bread
To defrost frozen banana bread, remove as many slices as desired, place in a single layer and let it come up to room temperature.
Or to defrost it more quickly, you can microwave it in 20 second intervals until the desired temperature is reached.
BONUS- Banana Bread French Toast
Banana bread french toast. Yes. You heard that right, you can make this banana bread into french toast and it is incredible!
To make banana bread french toast
You will need:
- 1 piece of banana bread
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
In a shallow bowl whisk the egg then add the cinnamon and the vanilla extract.
Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium heat. Dip the piece of banana bread into the egg mixture, turning to coat on all sides and place directly into the heated frying pan.
Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, flipping as required until the banana bread is golden brown. Serve immediately with butter and syrup.
This is for one piece of banana bread french toast.
- 3 Ripe Bananas
- ½ cup Butter, melted
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly butter a loaf pan, set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ripe bananas. Using a masher or the back of a fork, mash the bananas until they are completely pulverized and mostly smooth.
- Add the melted butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until the batter is smooth and silky.
- Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over top of the batter, stir quickly to combine.
- Add the flour, and stir until there are no dry bits left and the flour is completely incorporated.
- Optional: Add in any additional add-ins now.
- Transfer the batter to the lightly buttered loaf pan, spreading it out so it is even.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Let the banana bread cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then carefully remove the banana bread from the loaf pan by tipping it onto a cooking rack, let the banana bread cool completely before slicing and serving.
- Optional add-ins include: cinnamon, chopped nuts, and chocolate. See above for instructions.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 320mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 4g
Please Note- The nutritional information provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator and it will vary based on the ingredients that you use.