Welcome back to Day two of Appy week! Today we are sharing a super versatile recipe for Chicken Salad!
This chicken salad can be served as an appetizer or made into a sandwich for a quick and healthy meal. It is perfect to take on those long summer road trips or even camping!
If this is your first time tuning in, let me explain appetizer week, or “appy” week. It is a series that will take place every year during the last week in July.
Chicken Salad is a super delicious and extremely healthy snack or meal! It packs 17 grams of protein and only 164 calories, I mean, how can you go wrong?!
Not only is this healthy and packed with nutrition, it is SUPER EASY to prepare.
Pretty much the hardest thing is cooking the chicken… So if you have got that down, then you’ll be able to whip this up in no time flat!
There are affiliate links in this post. Please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Cooking Chicken Breasts from Frozen
Ok, so I know there are people out there like me that can’t remember to defrost meat to save my life! The truth is I cook probably 75% of my meat from frozen…
Cooking chicken breasts from frozen is super easy and this is the perfect way to cook the chicken for this recipe.
All you have to do is line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 400°F.
Lay the frozen chicken breasts on the baking sheet and bake for around 40 minutes.
Check that the chicken is fully cooked by cutting into the thickest part of of the breast and making sure there is no pink on the inside.
That is IT! It is really that easy to cook chicken breasts from frozen!
Now that your chicken is cooked, dice it up into small cubes and very finely dice the green apple.
In a large bowl combine the diced chicken breast, green apple, pumpkin seeds, cottage cheese, light mayonnaise, lemon juice, grainy dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, parsley, and salt & pepper.
Stir to combine the chicken salad and refrigerate it for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Serve as an appetizer with sliced baguette, crackers, or tortilla chips.
Or enjoy on open faced sandwiches lightly toasted and buttered with lettuce, or serve in buttercrunch lettuce cups for a low carb, healthy meal or snack!
And with that, that concludes day 2, make sure to come back tomorrow at 7am MST!
Other recipes in the 2020 Appetizer Series
- Fried Mac & Cheese Bites with Sweet Basil Marinara
- Coconut Shrimp with Honey Soy Dipping Sauce
- Canadian Poutine
- Hawaiian Sliders with Bacon Mayonnaise
Want to know a little more about how appy week works? Check it out here!
Don't forget to tag us in your creations using the hashtag #whippeditupappys on Instagram!
We put a lot of work into our recipes and if you have made this recipe we would love to see! Tag us anywhere on social media or leave a comment down below!
If you have any questions about this recipe, I would be happy to answer them in the comments down below! To get a hold of us directly, you can shoot us an email. Also, if you would like to see more recipes and get a glimpse into our everyday lives we can be found on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
- 2 large or 3 small Chicken Breasts, cooked and diced (~350 grams)
- 1 Green Apple, finely diced
- ¾ cup Pumpkin Seeds
- ½ cup Cottage Cheese
- ½ cup Light Mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Grainy Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Parsley, finely minced
- Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl combine the chicken breast, green apple, pumpkin seeds, cottage cheese, light mayonnaise, lemon juice, grainy dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, parsley, and salt & pepper.
- Stir to combine and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve as an appetizer with sliced baguette, enjoy on open faced sandwiches lightly toasted and buttered with lettuce, or serve in butter crunch lettuce cups for a low carb, healthy meal!
- To cook chicken from frozen, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 400°F. Bake chicken breast from frozen for 40 minutes until no pink remains on the inside. Let cool before dicing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 164Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 296mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 17g
Please Note- The nutritional information provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator and it will vary based on the ingredients that you use.
Amazing recipe! Made it for a work lunch and it went down a treat. It’s a family favourite too now!