Brace yourself. These might rock your world. You might not believe it but, these are 100% plant based, healthy, annnnd they taste JUST like boneless chicken wings! They are Crispy Tofu Bites, and they are the BEST!
These tofu bites are perfectly seasoned, lightly breaded and fried until golden brown and crispy! Then you can dress them up with any flavour of wing sauce, and no one will be the wiser.
There are affiliate links in this post. Please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Recently I have been trying to incorporate more plant based food options into our diets. Now don’t worry, we are not totally giving up meat. My husband would never go for that, and nor would I want to. BUT, I do want to be more conscientious of what we are eating, our environmental impact, and if there's a way I can incorporate more plants, i'm all in!
Let’s make some Crispy Tofu Bites!
So, first off, you will need to press the tofu to expel any extra water that it is carrying. Pressing the extra firm tofu will allow the tofu to absorb flavours and marinades much easier. Think of it like a sponge, press all of the existing moisture out, introduce new flavoured moisture and just like magic your tofu will change from bland to fabulous!
How to press tofu
Arrange the extra firm tofu between two pieces of paper towel (one on top and one on the bottom) and place a heavy book or cast iron skillet on top. Let the tofu sit under the pressure for one hour to get rid of any extra moisture.
Once your tofu is pressed
Using a sharp knife, cut the tofu into ½”-1” cubes.
In a bowl add all of the cubed tofu and 1 cup of chicken or vegetable stock. Let the tofu marinate in the stock for 30 minutes. Drain off any excess stock and set the tofu aside.
Batter and Breading
To make the batter mixture
In a small bowl combine the flour, cornstarch, milk, ¼ cup chicken or vegetable stock, dijon mustard, granulated garlic, parsley, paprika and stir well to combine.
In a separate small bowl, add the breadcrumbs and set aside.
Frying the Tofu Bites
Working in small batches, place a few cubes of the tofu into the batter mixture and coat on all sides.
Move the batter dipped tofu cubes to the breadcrumbs and coat on all sides.
Pro Tip; It helps if you have one hand dedicated to batter dipping and one hand dedicated to the breadcrumbs. You’ll thank me later!
Place the breaded tofu on a plate and repeat this process until all of the tofu has been breaded.
In a large fry pan, add enough grapeseed oil to make it about ¼” deep. Heat the oil over medium heat and add in the breaded tofu. Make sure to not crowd the pan, fry the tofu in batches if necessary.
Fry the tofu for 2-3 minutes on each side until all sides are golden brown. Remove the fried tofu from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
The “wing” Toppings!
This is the most exciting part of the whole process!
Below is a list of my personal favourite sauces to toss the crispy tofu bites in, but ANY sauce will work!
- Honey Hot Sauce, my personal fav! To make honey hot sauce use equal parts honey garlic sauce, and hot sauce. (if you love honey hot sauce as much as me, make sure you check out my Honey Hot Chicken Salad!)
- Buffalo Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- Honey Garlic Sauce
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- Barbecue Sauce
Once you have your sauce or sauces selected, place the tofu bites in a small bowl, add the desired amount of sauce, toss and serve! Serve with a side of dipping sauce and some fresh veggies!
We put a lot of work into our recipes, we would love to know if you tried this recipe and how it turned out for you!
If you have any questions about this recipe, I would be happy to answer them in the comments down below! To get a hold of us, you can shoot us an email or leave a comment down below! We can also be found on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Crispy Tofu Bites
A healthy plant based appetizer option
- 1 block Tofu, Extra Firm
- 1 cup Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- ⅓ cup Flour, all purpose
- ⅓ cup Cornstarch
- ⅓ cup Milk, of choice
- ¼ cup Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Parsley
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs, plain
- ½ - ¾ cup Grapeseed Oil
- Arrange tofu between two pieces of paper towel and place a heavy book or skillet on top. Press tofu for one hour to expel any extra moisture.
- Cut the pressed tofu into ½”-1” cubes. In a bowl add all of the cubed tofu and 1 cup of chicken or vegetable stock. Let the tofu marinate in the stock for 30 minutes. Drain off any excess stock and set tofu aside.
- To make the batter mixture, in a small bowl combine the flour, cornstarch, milk, ¼ cup chicken or vegetable stock, dijon mustard, granulated garlic, parsley, and paprika. Stir well to combine.
- In a separate small bowl, add the breadcrumbs. Set aside.
Frying the Tofu Bites
- Working in small batches, place a few cubes of the tofu into the batter mixture and coat on all sides.
- Move the batter dipped tofu cubes to the breadcrumbs and coat on all sides.
- Place the breaded tofu on a plate and repeat this process until all of the tofu has been breaded.
- In a large fry pan, add enough grapeseed oil to make it about ¼” deep. Heat the oil over medium heat and add in the breaded tofu. Make sure to not crowd the pan, fry the tofu in batches if necessary.
- Fry the tofu for 2-3 minutes on each side until all sides are golden brown. Remove tofu from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Toss the tofu bites with preferred topping and serve. Some great options are Honey Hot Sauce, Buffalo Sauce, Salt and Pepper, Honey GarlicSauce, Teriyaki Sauce, Sweet Chili Sauce, Barbecue Sauce, etc.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 383Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 453mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 18g
Please Note- The nutritional information provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator and it will vary based on the ingredients that you use.
These sound delicious! But frying scares me... could they be baked?
I don't think baking them would be an issue... although I would spray them with a little bit of olive oil before baking. Also, make sure to flip them during the baking time so all of the sides get crispy! I would love to know if you try this method and how it works out!
These are BOMB! Was looking for a recipe to replicate a dish I had at a restaurant. These are about as good as it gets. If you freeze and defrost the tofu before using, it gives an amazing, spongy texture. You can even do it twice! I'd recommend that, but the recipe itself is so perfect. Nice and crispy even after they're coated in sauce. So amazing!
Yay!!! We are so happy that you love the tofu bites!! 😃