Today we are finally sharing this recipe for sweet and sour beans! This recipe has been in our family for as long as I can remember, it is a family staple. Sweet and sour beans are a version of baked beans and are unlike any beans that you have tasted before. They are sticky, sweet beans that are incredibly simple to make, using all pantry ingredients (plus bacon, of course).
These baked beans are the perfect side dish for my roasted spatchcock chicken, or my cream cheese stuffed chicken breast, and they go perfectly with any holiday meal!
There are affiliate links in this post. Please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
- Brown Sugar
- White Vinegar
- Heinz Beans (maple flavour, optional)
- Red Kidney Beans
- Salt (kosher or Himalayan pink)
See recipe card for quantities.
Like I said above, these sweet and sour baked beans are super easy to make!
They take less than 15 minutes to prepare and then they just need to bake.
Making these baked beans works best in an oven safe skillet, such as a cast iron pan. That way you can prep them on the stove top and just transfer the already warm skillet into the oven to bake.
Hint: If you don't have an oven safe skillet or cast iron pan, use a deep frying pan or a saucepan and then transfer the beans to a 8x8 casserole dish to bake.
To make this epic side dish
first you will start by frying the bacon, and chopping it up.
After that is done, you will melt the butter in your skillet and sauté the garlic until it is fragrant.
Next, you will add the brown sugar and let that caramelize for 1 minute before adding the rest of the ingredients to the skillet.
After all of the ingredients have been added into the skillet and stirred together, transfer the skillet or casserole dish to the oven to bake for about 45 minutes. Stir the beans once during the middle of the cooking time.
That's it! Now you have delicious sweet and sour beans that can be served along side your favourite meals!
Onions - Traditionally this recipe is made with one medium white onion, diced and sautéd with the butter and garlic. We have an onion allergy in our house so we don't use onions. If you would like to make this recipe with onions, dice one medium white onion and add it while you are sautéing the garlic, increase the sauté time 5 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent.
Storing the Leftovers
These sweet and sour beans store exceptionally well. Keep leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator and enjoy within 3-4 days.
The beans can be eaten cold or warm.
Sweet and Sour Beans
Sweet and sour beans are unlike any baked beans you have ever tasted. They are sticky, sweet and made with mostly pantry ingredients!
- 250 grams Bacon (8 slices)
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 4-5 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 cup Brown Sugar, loosely packed
- ½ cup White Vinegar
- 1 can (14 oz) Heinz Beans (maple flavour, optional)
- 1 can (19 oz) Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (19 oz) Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon Salt (kosher or himalayan pink)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large frying pan, cook the bacon over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Remove bacon from the frying pan and transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Chop the bacon and set aside.
- In an oven safe skillet or cast iron pan add the butter and melt over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the brown sugar and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the white vinegar, heinz beans, red kidney beans, chickpeas, bacon and salt. Stirring to combine.
- When everything is well combined and stirred together, bake the beans for 45 minutes, stirring once in the middle of the cooking time.
If you don't have an oven safe skillet, use a deep frying pan or a saucepan and then transfer the beans to a 8x8 casserole dish to bake.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 324Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 866mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 4gSugar: 26gProtein: 15g
Please Note- The nutritional information provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator and it will vary based on the ingredients that you use.
Leave a Reply