These Chocolate Chip Funfetti Cookies are probably the best version of a chocolate chip cookie ever, and the rainbow sprinkles are what make these cookies extra fun!
Chocolate Chip Cookies are a classic, timeless favourite. They never go out of style and they are the perfect cookie for any occasion. They last for up to 5 days at room temperature in an airtight container, but I doubt that they’ll last that long (I know they never have in our house!)
But the best part, these are NO CHILL cookies. That’s right, just mix em’ up, portion them out and pop them straight into the oven!
There are affiliate links in this post. Please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Butter vs. Margarine
You can use margarine instead of butter in this recipe, but it will change the final product.
Using margarine will make the cookies spread more and turn out thinner. They are still chewy and delicious, just a little more finicky to get off the baking sheet after they are done cooking.
If you are using margarine instead of butter, decrease baking time to 10 minutes, but check the cookies at 8 minutes to make sure they are not burning.
There are A LOT of different types of sprinkles out there and they all serve a different purpose.
For this recipe, you should use jimmys or quins.
Jimmys are the long skinny stick like sprinkles, that come in all the colours of the rainbow. Quins on the other hand are flat and come in all kinds of different shapes.
You’ll want to avoid any other type of sprinkles for this recipe, especially nonpareils. Nonpareils are the small round sprinkles. The reason that these won’t work is the color on nonpareil sprinkles comes off extremely easily. As soon as these sprinkles come in contact with any kind of moisture the color runs and if you use these, the batter will turn a funky brown color and all you will be left with is little white dots as sprinkles. Definitely not as fun!
Let’s make some Cookies!!
First, preheat the oven to 350°F.
In a medium sized bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cream of tartar, and stir to combine.
In a separate large bowl combine the confectioners’ sugar, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and whisk to combine.
Into the sugar mixture add the softened butter, eggs and vanilla. Use a hand mixer and beat on medium/high speed until the batter is smooth.
Next, use a wooden spoon to fold the dry ingredients into the batter. Fold until just combined.
Add the sprinkles and chocolate chips into the cookie batter and fold until incorporated.
Using a cookie scoop, portion cookies onto a cookie sheet, 12 at a time, leaving adequate space between them.
*Keep in mind, if you used margarine the cookies will spread more and need to be spaced further apart.
Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, until the cookies are slightly golden around the edges. Transfer the cookies to cooling racks and let cool completely.
Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Freezing the Cookie Dough
That right, the cookie dough can be frozen before it is baked!! Hello fresh cookies on demand!
To freeze the cookie dough: prepare and portion out cookie dough on a baking sheet and freeze until solid, at least 6 hours.
Transfer frozen cookie dough balls to a zip top bag and store in the freezer until you are ready to bake them. Frozen cookie dough should be used within 3 months of freezing.
When you are ready to bake the cookies, remove as many as you need and place them on a baking sheet. Bake from frozen at 350°F for 15-17 minutes.
We are big on cookies around here, so make sure you check out these other amazing cookie recipes too!
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies
- French Macarons
- Shortbread Cookies
- Polar Bear Claw Cookies
- Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing
We put a lot of work into our recipes and if you have made this recipe we would love to see! Tag us anywhere on social media or leave a comment down below!
If you have any questions about this recipe, I would be happy to answer them in the comments down below!
To get a hold of us directly, you can shoot us an email. Also, if you would like to see more recipes and get a glimpse into our everyday lives we can be found on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- ¾ cup Confectioners’ Sugar (powdered sugar)
- ½ cup Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- ¼ cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- ⅔ cup Butter*, softened
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- ⅓ cup Sprinkles**
- ½ cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a medium sized bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar. Stir to combine.
- In a separate large bowl combine the confectioners’ sugar, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Whisk to combine.
- Into the sugar mixture add the softened butter, eggs and vanilla. Using a hand mixer beat on medium/high speed until smooth.
- Using a wooden spoon, fold in the dry ingredients until combined. Add in the sprinkles and chocolate chips, fold until incorporated.
- Using a cookie scoop, portion cookies onto a cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes (see notes), until cookies are slightly golden around the edges.
- Transfer cookies to cooling racks and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
* If using margarine instead of butter decrease baking time to 10 minutes maximum, but check cookies at 8 minutes. The cookies will also spread more using margarine.
** There are many different types of sprinkles, I prefer to use jimmys in this recipe but quins will work too. Do not use nonpareils. (See blog post for more information on the types of sprinkles)
- The cookie dough can be frozen before it is baked, to make fresh cookies on demand! To freeze cookie dough: portion out cookie dough on a baking sheet and freeze until solid, at least 6 hours. Transfer frozen cookie dough to a zip top bag and store in the freezer until ready to bake.
- Baking frozen cookie dough: Preheat oven to 350°F and bake from frozen for 15-17 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 32 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 117Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 109mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 1g
Please Note- The nutritional information provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator and it will vary based on the ingredients that you use.